Although Indonesia is not a country that we cover at ThereArePlaces.com, we have run across some travel news for those of you considering visiting this country.
On June 8:, 2009 we received a notice from one of our many travel-news sources that approximately two dozen individuals on the islands of Bali and Lombok have died and a large number sickened recently due to methanol poisoning. Note that some of the fatalities were travelers visiting Indonesia. Each of the deaths is reportedly associated with a locally brewed alcoholic beverage called “arak.” In these cases, the arak beverage had reportedly been spiked with methanol to increase its potency. We strongly recommend that anyone visiting or planning to visit Bali and Lombok exercise extreme caution and avoid consumption of home-distilled traditional arak liquor.
See this story in the Belfast Telegraph online for more information.
No Comments yet
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.